Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Crumb Cake. A new (more exciting) way to get your apple a day

I'm definitely an apple lover, so that saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" regardless of the fact that it may not actually be true, is something I happily live by. I make what may be the best apple crumble in existence, if I do say so myself (trying to hold off on baking it until further into fall or if possible, winter, when I can guiltlessly curl up with a big bowl of it al-a-mode because it's freezing and depressing outside), and have even gotten in a fight with my boyfriend over apple vs. cherry pie (no offense to cherry enthusiasts, but I'm not a fan), so yea, basically I love apples.

However, sadly, besides my apple crumble, I'm severely lacking in apple recipes, and felt that I needed to make up for this and bake something apple-y and delicious ASAP. As if it were fate, I stumbled across a very promising yet unexpected recipe for an apple coffee cake with crumb topping by Emeril Lagasse, not someone I've ever really associated with baked goods, but that was my mistake! Moist, sweet, with pockets of soft apple pieces and a thick, crumbly, sugary layer of topping, I'm happy to say I've finally added a new recipe to my apple repertoire.


I know it's not a very good picture, and definitely doesn't do the recipe justice. But it was at work where I have limited photo taking space and I had to rush to class, so there's a good reason for the bad quality. Sorry...

Apple Crumb Cake

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c peeled, cored, chopped apples

for crumble topping:
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. 

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream and vanilla. Fold in apples. Pour into pan and spread in an even layer.

To make topping mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over cake and bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment