Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Berry Burst Muffins... berry berry good

Coffee connoisseurs and my fellow coffee shop employees who may possibly be reading this, look away!

.........I like Starbucks


Yes I know, Starbucks is the McDonalds of coffee shops, the tyrant of the kingdom of cafes, the demise of all things pure, honest, and desirable about coffee, yadayada... However, while in no way am I opposed to everyone having their own opinions, and yes, I do agree Starbucks has taken over the land-of-beans (coffee that is), I continue to, and will continue to, support this business because well, it's convenient and honestly, I don't think it tastes all that bad either.

I will admit to frequent visits to the coffee giant in between classes, when, on those days I'm on campus for nearly 12 hours straight, I need a mid-day/early evening pick me up. It just so happens that Starbucks is a block away from my classes, so why not take advantage? I will also confess that at times, along with my coffee concoction or cup of tea, I can't resist a taste of something sweet from their bakery case. My go-to pick for those days I just can't pass a treat up? Reduced-Fat Very Berry Coffee Cake. Partly because it makes me feel less guilty, partly because I like berries and coffee cake, and partly because I'm a person of routine and am too scared to try something new. I doubt it is freshly made, or from scratch, and they probably mass produce their baked treats and defrost them to sell, but what I don't know can't hurt me/tarnish my image as "true" baker and baked good eater (whatever that means), right?

To make things even worse for those of you already questioning my qualifications as a reliable source of baking/cooking/eating adventures, this Starbucks coffee cake is where I got the inspiration for my latest coffee shop baking experiment-Berry Burst Muffins. I will, however note that I have no idea what the recipe for Starbucks' coffee cake is, so in no way did I recreate their dessert, it just gave me the idea.



I adapted a recipe I've used in the past for blueberry streusel muffins, adding in blackberries and lemon zest for an extra pop of flavor. They came out moist, sweet, tangy, and perfectly crunchy on top. Thank you Starbucks.

Ignore the, yet again, subpar pictures. I forgot to bring my camera to work so had to use my horrible quality cellphone camera.

Berry Burst Muffins
makes 14 good-sized muffins


Ingredients
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp+ 1 tsp baking powder
2/3 c vegetable oil
2 eggs
2/3 c milk
2 c mixed berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry...)
zest of 1 lemon

for topping:
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/6 c all purpose flour
1/8 c unsalted butter, cubed

Preheat oven 400 deg F. Grease/line 14 standard sized muffin cups. These muffins spill over the edge slightly, especially with the streusel topping, so I advise greasing around the muffins cups along with lining/greasing inside muffin cups.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest in large bowl. Place vegetable oil in a measuring cup, add eggs and enough milk to fill to the 2 cup mark. Mix into flour mixture. Fold in berries. Fill muffin cups to the top.

For streusel topping- mix sugar, flour and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins before baking.

Bake 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Yummy muffins make chemistry more enjoyable

No comments:

Post a Comment