Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Pumpkin Squares

After an unsuccessful attempt at crustless- pumpkin pie bars, I decided to toss out the strange idea of a hand-held pumpkin pie and stick to a more traditional pumpkin dessert (however, I did find a very promising recipe for pumpkin pie bars, this time WITH crust, that should be making an appearance on the blog shortly!). When in doubt, one should always go to a proven source, so who other than Martha Stewart to turn to? An obvious choice for a classic pumpkin dessert- Martha Stewart's Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares. Some reviewers commented that they were similar to a pumpkin blondie, but I found them to be lighter than typical blondies, and more of a moist pumpkin cake or really fluffy bread.

Having recently discovered my love for butterscotch chips (how I never tried them before I do not know), I tossed in a few of those along with the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Following recommendations, I cut back on the chocolate (and butterscotch) chips to a total of 1 cup, rather than 12 oz as the original recipe calls for. I also replaced a quarter of the butter with applesauce, although next time I may replace more, after reading that they were overwhelmingly buttery and moist. I know there are plenty firm believers that this isn't possible, but I figured I'd take their advice. I really don't think the applesauce takes away from the squares at all, and why not feel a little better about yourself for eating dessert!

Delicious! Martha, you never fail to disappoint.



Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Pumpkin Squares
original recipe- Martha Stewart

Ingredients
2 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 c sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c canned pumpkin puree
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line bottom and sides of a 9 by 13 inch pan with foil, leaving an overhang on all sides.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Set Aside.

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth, beat in egg and vanilla. Add in pumpkin puree. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet until just combined. Fold in chocolate and butterscotch chips.

Evenly spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely in pan. Using foil overhang, lift cake from pan and cut into desired size.

No comments:

Post a Comment