Monday, September 12, 2011

This College Girl Cooks: Tofu Patty Dinner

Having survived the jail cell-like experience of freshman dorm living, I couldn't be happier that I now live in a townhouse with a full, brand new kitchen. Overcome with joy and excitement over all of the yummy things I'll be able to make this school year, I decided to add a new section to my blog: This College Girl Cooks. Whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack, I'll post photos and step by step instructions of the different foods I make with the limited time and money of a college student.

First post of This College Girl Cooks... dinner!!!! Surprised it's not something sweet? I'm still waiting on my package of bakeware to be delivered, so I'll have to deal with the baking withdrawls I know I'll soon suffer for a week or so (hopefully no longer).


For tonight's dinner I made one of my favorites, tofu patties with salad. Learning from last year's mistakes, I'm really trying to stick to the healthy diet I normally follow at home, and this dinner is great for that. Easy to make with just a few ingredients and requiring very little time, it's a great healthful yet substantial meal, especially for people with time and money constraints.

Tofu Burger Patty


Ingredients
1 packet Tofu Burger Mix (I bought a few of them at my favorite Japanese market back at home to bring up to school with me, but you may be able to find them in any asian market. It's a mix of breadcrumbs, veggies, soy sauce, and a few other basic ingredients.)
1 package firm tofu


Drain tofu well and put in a medium bowl. Add in tofu burger mix packet and mash tofu and seasoning together with hands.


Divide into 3 or 4 sections and use your hands to form patties. Pan fry in a preheated, greased pan over medium heat for around 5 minutes on each side, until nicely golden brown. Usually I eat them with bulldog sauce, a Japanese worcester based sauce, but having none I substituted with a mixture of ketchup and soy sauce.


Serve with a big, colorful salad. Tonight's had romaine, carrots, tomatoes, and edamame (I like to buy frozen, shelled edamame from Trader Joe's and prepare it in advance, keeping it in a container in the fridge to toss on salads or snack on whenever I feel like.) For anyone looking for an even more substantial meal, eat with rice, a fried egg, or both!

No comments:

Post a Comment