Saturday, July 9, 2011

Recent Creations

I’d rather be baking than almost anything else, and these are a couple recent creations. 
As a joint celebration for father’s day and my little brother’s middle school graduation, I made a lemon buttermilk cake with berries, lemon curd, and fresh vanilla whipped cream. This is only half assembled, there was another tier on top, but I thought it looked pretty with all the berries and layers of fillings exposed. The light whipped cream and berries were a perfect balance with the dense lemon cake, and the lemon curd added an extra lemony tartness that made it extra special.
Another celebration cake, this time for the end of my freshman, and my boyfriend’s sophomore year of college, I let him pick any flavor he wanted, which ended up being peanut butter and chocolate. I surprised him by decorating it with a portrait of Totoro, a character in a Japanese cartoon we really like. I’m no artist, but it’s the thought that counts, right? 
These aren’t very recent, but they’re one of my signature recipes and I make them all the time! Vegan banana chocolate chip muffins with vegan cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts. Yes, I know, vegan… yuck. NO! I’ve made it one of my life goals to prove that vegan food can be just as good as “regular” food, and these are awesome! Usually when I serve them, I wait until after everyone starts eating to make the big reveal, and people are SHOCKED. From NYC based vegan bakery Babycakes’ banana bread recipe, these muffins are moist and spectacular. They’re equally as good with rich, dark chocolate frosting, or on their own.

next on my list of things to bake: brownies and lemon bars! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment